The Great God Pan (Creation Classics) - Arthur Machen I've been hearing of Machen's work for years now, but never got around to reading him. I live in a small, Canadian town, and finding his work around here is near impossible. When I got my Kindle, all that changed. Suddenly, I had all the classic books I yearned for, including Machen.

I hesitated, though. What if my expectations were raised too high? What if I were let down? I have, after all, heard a lot of great things about Machen from authors of whom I admire. Great writers like Caitlin R. Kiernan, Clive Barker, Stephen King, and H. P. Lovecraft.

Once I started The Great God Pan, however, I never looked back.

Without getting too much into the plot, the core of the story is about a mysterious woman who lives in Ashly Street. All the men she gets close to die, either by suicide or natural causes. We experience this story through conversations between the men who are investigating the deaths and the mysterious circumstances surrounding them.

The plot can be complicated and difficult to follow at times, and there are a lot of characters to remember. But the overall effect of the piece will leave you feeling chilled to the very marrow of your bones.

So, I think it is safe to say that I was not disappointed. If anything, I am intrigued and excited to continue my adventure with Machen. Highly recommended classic literature. Do yourself a favor and read this.